Saturday, March 21, 2009

I saw this cute google logo yesterday and I wondered the reason. This is what I found. Oh, and here is a picture of the logo in case you missed it. Way cute and we love this book around my house. :)



Google paid tribute to Eric Carle's children's book the Very Hungry Caterpillar by changing the logo on its home page.

The book, published in 1969, still sells one copy every 30 seconds in the world, 40 years after it was originally published.

Written and illustrated by Eric Carle (a graphic designer who later became art director of an advertising agency before moving into book illustration), it has sold more than 29 million copies, and is published in 47 languages.

Mr Carle, who turns 80 this year, said he got the idea from a hole puncher.

"One day I was punching holes with a hole puncher into a stack of paper, and I thought of a bookworm and so I created a story called "A Week with Willi the Worm". Then my editor suggested a caterpillar instead and I said "Butterfly!" That's how it began," he said.

"I think The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a hopeful story, because it says 'you too little caterpillar can grow up, spread your wings and fly'. I think it is this message of hope that resonates for many readers."

Mr Carle has written and illustrated more than 70 picture books.

No comments: